Some people feel reluctant to venture into the world of online therapy. I was too. I wondered about a lot of things, like:
- Can I really help clients without connecting in actual physical space?
- Will I be able to do it even if I’m not super tech-savvy?
- Can I be sure that my clients confidentiality is protected?
Suffice to say, I was not the first person to jump on board the online therapy train. That said, the answer to all of the above has been a resounding YES. Moreover, it’s incredibly convenient for clients who travel a lot, have mobility challenges, or simply don't have time to travel to sessions but want to meet. Of course, online therapy is not for everyone. For those who are interested in exploring this option:
- Online therapy has demonstrated efficacy. Studies show high levels of client satisfaction and good therapeutic outcomes.
- Online therapy is safe: the online platform I use is 100% encrypted, and HIPPA* approved. It was designed by and for health care providers to keep your session confidential.
- No High-Tech Skills Needed: All you need to do is go the web address I give you.
- No Need to Download Anything: Clients don’t download anything or even have to create an account with the software I use. Client information is never logged or recorded.
- No High-End Equipment Required: Online therapy can be done on a smartphone, on most tablets, and most computers. If you’re not sure if you have the right stuff, I’m happy to discuss.
How it Works:
- I send you a secure web address (a link) via email.
- You click on the link at our appointment time.
- I log on and our appointment begins.
*HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information provided to health plans, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.